Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Catch Up Day

I've learned something about myself lately.
I try to carry others burdens.
I wondered why my back seemed so sore lately.
I've been trying to haul around, on my back, everyone else's problems, worries, fears and sorrows.  And then, there's my own burdens.  What a heavy load to bear.  I suppose it's just part of my personality.  Feeling like I could in some way, help or lessen the pain if I attempt to carry the pain for them.  Perhaps I am trying to shove my own burdens aside, by focusing on someone else.  I yearn to empathize with them.  No wonder I've felt so weighted down lately.  No wonder I've barely managed to crawl through my days.

When I say the word burden I immediately think of the book Pilgrim's Progress.  Perhaps you are familiar with it.  And if you're not, I highly recommend reading it.  It's the story of a boys journey to God, to heaven.  And it parallels with our christian walk with the Lord.  It's been many years since I've read it, since 3rd grade to be exact.  We did many projects along with the book in school.  But this one picture always sticks out in my head.  It's a picture of the boy, Christian, struggling to make his way to the cross, to the Savior.  Throughout his entire journey he carries this heavy backpack on his back.  We learn that it is his burdens.  I forget exactly where along the journey it is, but he finally shreds the heavy weight from his back.  He is FREE!
And that's exactly what I am doing today.  I am tossing that heavy backpack of burdens off of my shoulders.  I surrender it to the Lord to carry for me.  And if I attempt to take it back, may I quickly be reminded that there is no need for me to lung that thing around, when my strong and mighty Father is more than willing to carry it for me.

So, today is all about catching up on the things I've let slip by while I've been distracted.  All the things I've been wanting to do, but have been too busy to, while trying to carry everyone's weight.

 
We took a little time to take in the breathtaking beauty of the snow this morning.  I get sick of the snow and cold just as much as the next person, but how can you not revel in the magnificence of the big, soft flakes falling from the sky, clinging to the branches of every tree and bush.


It was a picture perfect postcard kind of snow.


While Elissa napped, Cameron and I finally had an opportunity to do a little Tot School.  I've been gathering supplies and anxious to start this special time with him.  He loved it.  He seems so eager to learn and explore right now.  We worked on a skills puzzle for a while.  


And then we played with a peg set.  This will quickly become a favorite toy of ours.  It's so open-ended and has many teachable qualities to it.  First he stacked them up high.  He was so proud.  Then we sorted them into colors.  And I asked him to place specific colors into the peg board.  Lots of fun!


And last but not least, we had a Muffin Tin lunch.  I was supposed to do this on Monday, but hey, better late than never.  Muffin Tin Mondays are a fun way to have a meal, that are sometimes themed.  You can find out more for yourself by stopping by Muffin Tin Mom.  Monday's theme was the color orange.  We had Hi-C orange juice, ravioli, crackers with cheese and an orange.  Cameron ate the crackers and drank the juice, but refused to touch anything else.  He is a very picky eater.  Muffin Tin Mondays will help me continually offer new foods to Cameron.  I tend to get in a bit of a rut with him, since there doesn't seem to be much he'll eat.  But you never know when he might decide to try something new.   And I definitely need to find some new and creative muffin tins.  All I had handy was this cumbersome 12 holer.

Have a blessed and burden free day!

2 comments:

Nick said...

I have seen that you try to take on everyone else's burdens on top of your own. It is hard to see you weighed down like that, and it is hard to not be able to take some of the burden from you. I wish I could find a job and lessen some of the burden by at least having something steady and certain right now. One thing steady and certain is me and our marriage, and I want to make sure that I am a help in whatever way I can. I love you, Laura, and things are tough, but it will get better.

stacy guerne said...

Christian (from the pilgrims progress leaves his burden at the foot of the cross.
and thats where we need to leave ours as well.
we are too much a like laura marie. goodness. haha!
I love you.


I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33